Tuesday, January 2

Dinner with Detective Handsome

I have to get new car tabs because I foolishly let mine expire at the end of the year. Fortunately, Detective Handsome let me off with just a warning… and dinner.


1:00 a.m.

Seems like I’m up late again and I know little Miss Maizie is going to haul my ass out of bed in the morning before 7:00 to go for a walk. But I can’t help it. Jordan’s party was really okay, and the oyster stew wasn’t bad either. I think Jordan and Cinnamon might have hooked up last night. They were both very cagey when I asked what they ended up doing. And Cinnamon was too aloof from Jordan. It wasn’t natural. Something has changed.

I spent part of the party sulking, I admit. I dressed up so carefully for the party and was planning to be my sexiest, most flirtatious self, but seeing the electricity flowing between those two put me off the whole party atmosphere. Fortunately, Teri and Geoff were there, so I got to know him a little better and am not quite so terrified of him as I was. Okay, he says the whole playboy S&M thing has been a cover, but gees, he scared me. Seeing him with Teri, though, showed me a very tender side. I’m happy for her.

Now I’m getting all weepy because my friends are getting paired off, but that would miss the whole point.

Jordan asked a couple law enforcement types to the party that I hadn’t met before. Kathy Mitchell works in the same group Jordan does and I’ve never seen her come into our office or on any sites where I’ve visited. She wasn’t around when I was at Brenda Barnett’s hearing. She wasn’t at the docks when we went through the cargo container. But she seemed to know absolutely everything that I’ve done and all about me. She says she does a bit of undercover work, but mostly stays out of site in the office and manages logistics. Wow! Somebody manages Jordan. Who would guess?

I was sitting alone in the living room before the late lunch, drinking a soda and generally feeling sorry for myself when the doorbell rang. With all the noise in the kitchen, I was betting no one else could hear it, so I went to let the new guest in. I opened the door on the most gorgeous man I’ve ever seen. He’s 6’1”, 170 pounds, medium length sandy hair, and a physique that was like a Greek statue. Is that all trite enough? I think my mouth kind of dropped open and I forgot to say hello.

“Hi,” he said. “I’m Detective Hanson.”

“You certainly are,” I answered.

“I beg your pardon?”

“I mean certainly you are, or must be a friend of Jordan’s, right?” I am 27 years old and I was acting like a 13-year-old in front of some pop god. Get a grip, girl.

“Yeah. This is the right place, isn’t it?”

“Yes, it sure is. Everyone is in the kitchen. Come on in, Detective.”

“Sorry,” he said. “It’s Tom. I’m getting so used to introducing myself at people’s front door that I forget I don’t have to say Detective all the time. You’re lucky I didn’t flash the shield at you.”

“Well, come on in, Tom. I’m Deb.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Deb.” He held out his hand and I got all tingly when I shook it. I have definitely been spending too much time with computers and old people. One look at a nice looking—okay, gorgeous—guy and I’m getting flushed. I decided it was time to get myself, and him, under control.

“Let’s go into the kitchen where everybody else is. Jordan is entertaining everyone by shucking oysters.” I said.

He didn’t let go of my hand right away, so I just pulled him along behind me. When we got to the kitchen, people had started counting down how many oysters were landing in the stew pot. I was counting how many wine bottles were empty so far. People were certainly into it.

“Hey, everybody!” I shouted over the noise. “This is Tom Hanson. Say hi.”

“Hi Tom,” they responded. “Thirty-one!” Geoff broke away first and came to say hi. Tom had to let go of my hand to shake Geoff’s hand. I suddenly began to hate Geoff again.

“Tom, it’s good to see you. How’s life as a detective?”

“Still getting used to it, Geoff. Every morning I have to decide what to wear instead of pulling on the blue uniform.”

“Did you just get promoted?” I asked.

“About a month ago,” Tom replied. “They’re scarcely letting me out without a chaperone yet.”

“Don’t let him be too modest,” Jordan said when he finally got around the kitchen island to greet Tom. There were now 36 oysters in the stew according to the shouts. “Tom cracked a drug case while he was still in uniform and brought in one of Seattle’s most notorious dealers. The department couldn’t help but promote him. It was long overdue.”

“I keep telling everybody it was dumb luck, but they started me right in on homicide.” He accepted a soda from Jordan. I noticed Kathy was drinking soda, too. Hmmm. The cops are staying sober while everyone else is emptying the wine bottles. I wonder what’s up.

“Well, I see you’ve met Deb,” Jordan said. “She’s probably the most interesting person at the party, so you might just want to stay close.” Now I got it. Set-up. Jordan could hardly keep a straight face. Geoff came to the rescue, and I immediately forgave him for his earlier infraction.

“I’ve got someone interesting with me,” he said. “Tom, meet my girlfriend, Teri. Teri, this is Tom Hanson. We play a little basketball together once in a while.”

“That one I’ll bite on,” Tom said. “I play basketball. He buys the uniforms.”

“You’re a pro ball player as well as a cop?” I asked.

“No. Geoff sponsors an entire adult round-ball league here in the city. There’s two dozen teams and he outfits them all,” Tom said.

“What can I say? I love basketball,” Geoff said. “Why don’t we all go to the game Friday night? I’ll get Jordan to bring a date and we’ll watch the game and have dinner in my box.”

“That sounds good to me,” Tom said. “You in, Deb?” Did I just get asked out on a date? Did they all know this was going to happen before they got here? No. Of course not. It’s what Jordan called a… what was it? a Fig. That’s a date with friends. Well, I was certainly game regardless. I wasn’t going to leave for Savannah until Saturday, I’d already decided that.

“Sure. Sounds like fun,” I said. “But I’ve got to warn you, I’m not sure I even know the difference between basketball and hockey. My sports knowledge is pretty weak.”

“All the more fun,” Tom said. “Nothing like initiating a NOOB.”

“Play on computers, too?” I asked. He just grinned at me.

Well, it was time to eat, and we filled bowls with the stew and got big hunks of bread and sat all over Jordan’s living room, kitchen, and dining room to eat. It was really good. Every time someone ate an oyster, they counted back down until we had verified that all 36 had been eaten.

We talked and played silly games all afternoon while the Rose Bowl played on the TV. I’d left mine on at home for Maizie. That was when I realized I really needed to get home and let the dog out. I extracted myself from the sofa and a very comfortable spot next to Tom and headed out the door. He immediately stood and said that he needed to get going as well and would walk me to my car. Which he did. Actually, that was kind of nice because I don’t like strange parking garages all that much. Tom held my door for me and then politely stepped away as I started my car. I pulled out of the parking space and all of a sudden Tom is waving his hands behind me and signaling me to pull over. I did and he trotted up to my window.

“Yes, officer?” I laughed.

“I’m sorry, ma’am,” he said seriously. “I can’t let you drive this car out of the parking ramp.”

“I assure you, I’m perfectly sober,” I said. He really seemed to be into the game.

“No. Really, Deb. Your license tabs have expired.” Oh no. “If you leave the car here in the ramp, you are still on private property and you can go down tomorrow, get the renewal, and then come and get your car. It’s a lot better than starting the new year with a ticket.”

“Oh my God, you’re serious,” I said.

“Why don’t you park your car and I’ll take you home,” he said. Yours or mine? I wondered.

Well, I’m not going to belabor the point. He took me home. I walked and fed the dog. He took me to dinner. Then we got back to my place. I am so bad at situations like this. I mean, beyond the fact that he was beautiful, I really liked him. I was seriously thinking that the night shouldn’t end yet, but I didn’t want to screw up by making a move he wasn’t ready for. And besides, as much as I like him, he doesn’t know everything, and I’m not willing to say yet. I didn’t know what he was expecting or what I was wanting.

Then he took my hand and kissed it. Very softly. I can still feel the touch of his lips on the back of my hand.

And he said good night and left.

I’m sure it was a set-up. You know, Cinnamon didn’t flirt with him once all day?

No comments:

Post a Comment